Health Center Application Process
FTCA Redeeming applications are due May 26, 2015
2015 FTCA Deeming Application Technical Assistance webcast series
General and Risk Management Section Thursday, April 2, 2 to 3:30 pm ET
General and Credentialing Section Wednesday, April 8, 2 to 3:30 pm ET
General and Professional Liability Assurance Thursday, April 9, 2 to 3:30 pm ET
Learn about the process for Health Center Program grantees to submit initial and redeeming Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) deeming applications for Calendar Year (CY) 2016.
The 2016 application process and guidance for submitting deeming applications for Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) medical malpractice coverage is detailed within Program Assistance Letter (PAL) 2015-03. The information found on this page is meant as a guide to applicants; download the PAL (PDF - 273 KB) for complete details.
Submitting FTCA Applications
To be considered complete, an initial or renewal application must contain all of the following documentation within EHB.
- Quality Improvement/Quality Assurance (QI/QA) Plan, with clear documentation that the Board reviewed and approved the plan within 3 years of the date of submission to HRSA (i.e., on or after April 5, 2012, for a renewal application). Details in PAL 2015-03 Section VIII page 6, item 1 (PDF - 273 KB).
- Minutes from any six QI/QA committee meetings that took place between April 5, 2013, and the submission date of the application. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 7, item 2 (PDF - 273 KB).
- In addition to the minutes noted above, the health center may also submit health center committee reports that further evidence QI/QA activities. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 7, item 2 (PDF - 273 KB).
- Minutes from any six Board meetings evidencing oversight of QI/QA activities that took place between April 5, 2014, and the submission date of the application. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 7, item 3 (PDF - 273 KB).
- Credentialing and privileging policies and procedures. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 7, item 4 (PDF - 273 KB).
- A list of all licensed and certified staff members providing services at all health center sites and their current credentialing/privileging status. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 8, item 5 (PDF - 273 KB).
- Due to EHB technical requirements, the credentialing list must be in an Excel Spreadsheet compatible with EHB and include the following for all licensed and certified staff members:
- Name and Professional Designation (e.g., MD/DO, RN, CNM, DDS, LPN, PA, MA, NP, etc.);
- Employment Status (full-time employee, part-time employee, contractor or volunteer);
- Hire Date;
- Current Credentialing Date (must be within past 2 years); and
- Next Expected Credentialing Date. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 8, item 6 (PDF - 273 KB).
- Board approved health center policies and procedures for the following:
- Referral tracking;
- Hospitalization tracking;
- Diagnostic tracking (Note that the FTCA deeming application no longer requires separate clinical policies and procedures for x-ray and labs, where these activities are addressed by the diagnostic tracking policies and procedures). Details in PAL 2015-03 page 8, item 7 (PDF - 273 KB).
- Statement verifying whether or not there were any medical malpractice claims or allegations presented during the past 5 years, that any such claims or allegations were internally analyzed, and that appropriate actions were implemented as needed in response to such claims or allegations. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 9, item 8 (PDF - 273 KB).
- Electronic signature of the Executive Director certifying the contents of the application. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 9, item 9 (PDF - 273 KB).
- Deeming applications for any subrecipient(s) that appear on the health center’s most recent Form 5B, who are requesting FTCA coverage. Details in PAL 2015-03 page 9, item 10 (PDF - 273 KB).
HRSA periodically will update this section to include presentations and resources that will focus on the application preparation, submission, and deeming process.