FY 2016 Service Area Competition (SAC) Technical Assistance
The Service Area Announcement Table lists all service areas announced for competition through the Service Area Competition (SAC) funding opportunity announcements (FOA) and includes the:
- Patient Target for each service area (Information provided at Patient Target Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) [PDF - 130 KB])
- Service area Zip Codes and the percentage of patients that reside within
- Total Funding available for each service area and the target population(s) served
Applicant Technical Assistance Webinar Recording
June 25, 2015
- Applicant Technical Assistance Presentation (PDF - 452 KB)
- FY 2016 Applicant Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (PDF - 200 KB) Updated September 4, 2015
- FY 2016 SAC Application EHB User Guide (PDF - 4 MB) Updated November 2, 2015
SAC New, Competing Continuation, and Competing Supplement Schedule
|Project Period Start Date||HRSA Announcement Number||Expected Funding Opportunity Announcement Release||Grants.gov Deadline
(11:59 PM ET)
|HRSA EHB Deadline
(5:00 PM ET)
|January 1, 2016||HRSA-16-003||June 16, 2015||August 18, 2015||September 1, 2015|
|February 1, 2016||HRSA-16-004||June 30, 2015||August 31, 2015||September 15, 2015|
|March 1, 2016||HRSA-16-005||July 28, 2015||September 28, 2015||October 14, 2015|
|April 1, 2016||HRSA-16-006||September 1, 2015||November 2, 2015||November 17, 2015|
|May 1, 2016||HRSA-16-007||September 29, 2015||December 2, 2015||December 17, 2015|
|June 1, 2016||HRSA-16-008||October 27, 2015||January 6, 2016||January 20, 2016|
About the Service Area Competition
Through the FY 2016 Service Area Competition (SAC), HRSA will award approximately, $1.2 billion in funding to an estimated 465 SAC applicants. A SAC application is a request for federal financial assistance to continue support of comprehensive primary health care services in a service area currently served by a Health Center Program grantee whose project period is ending in FY 2016.
Applicants must be public or nonprofit private entities, such as tribal, faith-based, or community-based organizations, that propose to serve a service area and its associated population to ensure continued access to comprehensive, culturally competent, quality primary health care services for communities and vulnerable populations served by the Health Center Program. Applicants must meet all Eligibility Requirements listed in Section III of the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA).
How to Apply
SAC applications must be submitted via Grants.gov and the HRSA Electronic Handbooks (EHB). The instructions below are for the Grants.gov application.
- Before you can apply for this funding opportunity, you must register in three places: DUNS, SAM and Grants.gov. This process may take up to 4 weeks or longer.
- Refer to the Application Deadlines table on this page to obtain the HRSA announcement number and associated deadlines.
- Go to Grants.gov.
- Select the Search Grants tab.
- Type in the Funding Opportunity Number field, click the SEARCH button.
- Click the Funding Opportunity Number (e.g., HRSA-16-003).
- Click the Application Package tab.
- Under Instructions and Application, click the Download link.
- To download an application, complete the email information, or check the box to indicate that you would not like to provide your email address, and click the Submit button.
- Click the Download Application Instruction link to download the FOA.
- Click the Download Application Package link to download the Grants.gov application form.
Technical Assistance Resources
- HRSA Electronic Two-Tier Submission User Guide (DOC - 2 MB)
- How to Read Your NoA: Project Period End Date (PDF - 88 KB)
- Health Center Program Requirements Resources (PDF - 80 KB)
- Available Data Sources (PDF - 69 KB) for data elements of the Need section of the Project Narrative
- Patient Target Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (PDF - 118 KB) provide background information and details for service area Patient Targets.
- Patient and Budget Calculator
- Attachment 1: Service Area Map and Table
- Attachment 13: Sample Implementation Plan (PDF - 79 KB)
- Healthy People 2020/Health Center Performance Measures (PDF - 45 KB)
- Sample Budget Documents
- Applicant Completeness and Eligibility Review Checklist (PDF - 96 KB)
- HRSA Scoring Rubric (PDF - 198 KB)
Program-Specific Forms and Attachments
- Form 1A: General Information Worksheet (PDF - 124 KB)
- Form 1C: Document on File (PDF - 43 KB)
- Form 2: Staffing Profile (PDF - 205 KB)
- Form 3: Income Analysis (PDF - 124 KB)
- Form 4: Community Characteristics (PDF - 78 KB)
- Form 5A: Services Provided (PDF - 68 KB)
- Form 5B: Service Sites (PDF - 186 KB)
- Form 5C: Other Activities/Locations (PDF - 60 KB)
- Form 6A: Current Board Member Characteristics (PDF - 76 KB)
- Form 6B: Request for Waiver of Board Member Requirements (PDF - 97 KB)
- Form 8: Health Center Agreements (PDF - 136 KB)
- Form 10: Emergency Preparedness Report (PDF - 159 KB)
- Form 12: Organization Contacts (PDF - 120 KB)
- Summary Page (PDF - 185 KB)
- Table of Health Center Program Attachments (PDF - 108 KB)
- Clinical Performance Measure Form Field Guide and Sample (PDF - 57 KB)
- Performance Measure Fillable Form (PDF - 544 KB)
- Health Center Program Clinical and Financial Performance Measures for descriptions of the performance measures
- Health Center Data and Reporting for information on the UDS, the reporting system for Health Center Program performance measures and patient data
- UDS Resources for presentations on UDS reporting
- 2014 UDS Manual (PDF - 2 MB) for definitions and UDS reporting details
Open Health Center Program Funding Opportunities
Be sure to provide complete and consistent information to all three systems. If there is a problem anywhere in the process, your registration can take 4 weeks or longer.
Before you do anything else, make sure you Register & Get Ready
HRSA Bureau of Primary Health Care
Office of Policy and Program Development
301-594-4300 | BPHCSAC@hrsa.gov
HRSA Office of Federal Assistance Management
Division of Grants Management Operations
301-594-4245 | email@example.com
EHB Application Assistance
877-974-2742 | Submit Web Request Form
HRSA Electronic Handbooks (EHB) Registration and Help
EHB Account Access Questions:
HRSA Contact Center
CallCenter@hrsa.gov or 1-877-464-4772, Monday Friday, 9:00 a.m to 5:30 p.m. ET (excluding federal holidays)
Health Center Program Support Networks (PCAs, NCAs, and PCOs)
Sign up to receive the weekly Primary Health Care Digest
Track Your Grant Application