FY 2018 Capital Assistance for Hurricane Response and Recovery Efforts (CARE) (HRSA-18-114) Technical Assistance
- CARE Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) – HRSA-18-114
- Apply in the Electronic Handbook (EHB) by June 14, 2018
- FY 2018 CARE Technical Assistance Webinar
- FY 2018 CARE Applicant TA Presentation (PDF - 500 KB)
- FY2018 CARE Application TA Presentation Transcripts (PDF - 679 KB)
- UPDATED: Sample Forms added to Technical Assistance Resources
The purpose of the FY 2018 Capital Assistance for Hurricane Response and Recovery Efforts (CARE) funding opportunity is to provide one-time support for minor alteration/renovation (A/R) and/or equipment costs to assist impacted health centers with their disaster response and recovery activities related to Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and/or Maria in 2017. The project(s) supported with the CARE funding will help to ensure continuity of access to primary health care services in the hurricane-impacted areas in the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and strengthen core capacities and capabilities of impacted health centers to respond to and/or recover from future emergencies or disasters. This funding does not provide health centers with an ability to expand their service capacity.
This funding opportunity is authorized and funded by Division A, Title VIII of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 (BBA) (Public Law 115-123).
The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) will award approximately $60 million in non-competitive awards to eligible health centers. Funding will be made available for a two-year funding period (September 1, 2018 – August 31, 2020). Proposals must demonstrate that funding will support minor A/R and/or equipment costs related to the consequences of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and/or Maria in 2017. All projects must be completed by August 31, 2020.
Who Can Apply
For the purposes of this funding opportunity, to be eligible to apply for and receive CARE funding, applicants must:
- Receive Health Center Program operational (H80) grant funding at the time of the release of this funding opportunity and at the time of award;
- Have at least one service delivery site located in a hurricane impacted area that was in the health center’s scope of project (as indicated on the health center’s Form 5B: Service Sites) during the start of the relevant incident period. For the purpose of this funding opportunity, a hurricane-impacted area is defined as an area with a FEMA Disaster Declaration receiving Public Assistance – Category B (PA-B) Designation due to the impact of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and/or Maria.
- Propose minor A/R and/or equipment project(s) at service delivery site(s) located in a hurricane-impacted area (see Appendix A in the NOFO).
How to Apply
HRSA will send an email to each eligible health center through the HRSA Electronic Handbooks (EHB). This email will provide instructions on how to access the application module in EHB. Applications are due in EHB by 5 pm ET on Thursday, June 14, 2018. HRSA anticipates that awards will be made by September 2018.
Technical Assistance Resources
- CARE Frequently Asked Questions (PDF - 306 KB)
- CARE Applicant User Guide (PDF - 2 MB)
- Environmental and Historic Preservation Requirements
- Procurement FAQs (PDF - 62 KB)
- Sample Templates