- Accreditation and Patient-Centered Medical Home Initiative, PAL 2022-04 (PDF - 166 KB)
- PCMH Resource Center (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
The HRSA Accreditation and Patient-Centered Medical Home Recognition Initiative supports health centers in obtaining Ambulatory health care accreditation and/or Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) recognition. PCMH recognition has become a standard of care for HRSA funded health centers. Ambulatory health care accreditation and PCMH recognition increase health outcomes, improve health equity, and lower costs for patients and health centers.
Ambulatory health care accreditation:
- Assesses health center quality and patient safety
- Evaluates health centers against standards of quality improvement, quality assurance, risk management, and performance improvement
- Assesses a health center’s approach to patient-centered care
- Evaluates health centers against national standards for primary care that emphasize care coordination and on-going quality improvement.
HRSA contracts with three organizations to assist health centers gain and retain accreditation and/or recognition. These organizations provide technical assistance and training as part of the accreditation and recognition. The table below identifies which contractors provide HRSA supported accreditation and recognition.
|Organization||PCMH Recognition||Ambulatory Health Care Accreditation|
|The National Committee for Quality Assurance||Yes||No|
|The Joint Commission||Yes||Yes|
|The Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care||Yes||Yes|
HRSA supports certain fees for participating health centers. The fees covered may be associated with initial accreditation and re-accreditation for ambulatory health care accreditation and PCMH recognition, initial, renewal, and add-on surveys. When applying for the HRSA Accreditation and Patient-Centered Medical Home Recognition Initiative, health centers who are currently recognized and/or accredited are strongly encouraged to submit their Notice of Intent (NOI) 3 to 6 months prior to their expiration date.
How to Apply
The flow chart provides a step-by-step explanation of how to apply for accreditation and recognition assistance through HRSA.
Accreditation and Recognition NOI Process Flow Chart
- Decision to initiate/renew PCMH Recognition and/or Accreditation
- Log in to the Electronic Handbook (EHB)
- Select Grant Folder and Appropriate Grant (H80)
- Select HRSA Accreditation/PCMH Initiative
- Click on create a new Notice of Intent (NOI)
- Select Accreditation and/or Recognition organization
- Grant information already filled in
- Fill out other details and select sites to be included
- Submit NOI and click confirm button on next page
- Success message is displayed
- Check on review status
- If NOI is approved, the organization will contact the health center for next steps
The links below provide additional information on specific steps in the process.
- Select an Accreditation/PCMH Recognition Organization
- Submit Notice of Intent (NOI)
- Prepare for a Survey
- Change Accreditation/Recognition Organizations