Explore Health Center Program requirements, processes, and related resources.
The Health Center Program Compliance Manual is the principal resource to assist health centers in understanding and demonstrating compliance with Health Center Program requirements.
Scope of project
A health center’s scope of project defines a health center’s service sites, services, providers, service areas, and target populations.
Check out these resources:
- Scope of Project
- Maintaining an Accurate Scope of Project
- Documenting Scope of Project
- Scope Resources
Policy Information Notices & Program Assistance Letters
Policy Information Notices (PINs) are official HRSA documents that define and explain policy guidance related to the Health Center Program.
Program Assistance Letters (PALs) are official HRSA documents that explain important program topics or announce new or updated program processes.
View the PINs/PALs Library.
HRSA conducts site visits of health centers, Primary Care Associations, National Training and Technical Assistance Partners, and Health Center Controlled Networks to ensure compliance with program requirements.
Visit Site Visit Protocols and Guides for an overview of the site visit types and related documents to prepare for a site visit.
HRSA uses the Health Center Program Site Visit Protocol to perform its oversight of health centers.
Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA)
The Federal Tort Claims Act Program provides information on the FTCA Program, including program eligibility requirements, guidance on applying for FTCA coverage, and technical assistance resources to help health centers maintain program compliance and patient safety.
The Progressive Action Conditions Library contains the list of conditions applied when a health center fails to demonstrate compliance with Health Center Program requirements.
Statute & regulations
- Health Center Program Statute: Section 330 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. §254b)
- Health Center Program Regulations: 42 CFR 51c and 42 CFR 56.201 – 56.604
- Grant Regulations: Uniform Administrative Requirements for HHS Awards: 45 CFR 75
- HRSA Grants Policies, Regulations, and Guidance
- Health Center Program Compliance FAQs
- Voter Registration and Health Centers
- Health Center Mergers, Acquisitions and Other Organizational Changes and Related Successor-in-Interest Requests (PDF - 306 KB)
- HRSA Technical Assistance Resource: Family Planning and Related Services in Health Centers (PDF - 311 KB)