Primary Care Associations
Primary Care Associations (PCAs) are state or regional nonprofit organizations that provide training and technical assistance (T/TA) to safety-net providers. This T/TA is based on statewide and regional needs to help health centers improve programmatic, clinical, and financial performance and operations. PCAs can help health centers and look-alikes plan for the growth of health centers in their state, as well as develop strategies to recruit and retain staff.
PCAs were established to create economies of scale for health centers, maximize the federal Section 330 investments in states, assess and monitor the policy and regulatory environments, and assist health centers in adapting to changing demands from an evolving health care environment. PCAs facilitate collaboration between health centers and Governors, Medicaid Directors and state health departments to educate them on the health center program and its value to patients, and to work with health centers on the best approaches to meet the needs of their constituents.
Training and Technical Assistance Offered
All PCAs are organized around a set of core functions and competencies that provide the framework for support and assistance to health centers and the communities they serve. Established under the same authorizing legislation as the health center program, PCAs exist to provide:
- Training and technical assistance in health center leadership and administration including governance and fiscal and program management;
- Operational, administrative, and quality improvement support and;
- Information regarding resources available under Public Health Service Act (PHS) Section 330 and how they can be best used to meet the health needs of the communities served by potential and existing health centers.
Contact the PCA in your state or region to learn more about training and technical assistance opportunities.
- State and Regional Primary Care Association (PCA) Cooperative Agreements Technical Assistance
- PCA Site Visit Guide (PDF – 1.4 MB)
- PCA Site Visit Training Slides (PDF – 346 KB)
- PCA Site Visit Training Recording
- American Samoa
- District of Columbia
- Federated States of Micronesia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Palau
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Virgin Islands
- West Virginia
Date Last Reviewed: October 2017