- Updated June 25, 2020, to include FY 2020 Progress Reporting resources
- HHS Awards $1.3 Billion to Health Centers in Historic U.S. Response to COVID-19 (4/8/20)
- View CARES award recipients
- Contact for More Information
Fiscal year (FY) 2020 Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) supplemental funding provides one-time support to health centers for the detection of coronavirus and/or the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of COVID-19, including maintaining or increasing health center capacity and staffing levels during a coronavirus-related public health emergency.
HRSA provided approximately $1.3 billion to Health Center Program award recipients. Each CARES supplement was calculated using the following formula:
- Base value of $503,000, plus
- $15.00 per patient reported in the 2018 Uniform Data System (UDS), plus
- $30.00 per uninsured patient reported in the 2018 UDS.
FY 2020 Progress Reporting
Recipients of FY 2020 coronavirus-related supplemental awards for health centers are required to submit quarterly progress reports. These reports have different reporting periods and due dates. This information is specified for the CARES award (activity code: H8D) below:
|Report||Reporting Period||Available in EHBs||Due Date|
|1||March 15 - June 30, 2020||July 1, 2020||July 10, 2020|
|2||July 1 - September 30, 2020||October 1, 2020||October 12, 2020|
|3||October 1 - December 31, 2020||January 1, 2021||January 13, 2021|
|4||January 1 - March 31, 2021||April 1, 2021||April 14, 2021|
|5||April 1 - June 30, 2021||July 1, 2021||July 14, 2021|
- COVID-19 Progress Report Template
- Coronavirus Supplemental Funding Reporting Category Guide
- COVID-19 Minor Alteration/Renovation Requirement
Reporting Requirement Submission Components
- Reporting Requirement Guidance
- Activity overview
- SF424-A Budget Form (PDF - 131 KB)
- Budget narrative
- Budget Narrative with Personnel Justification Table Example (PDF - 244 KB)
- Minor Alteration/Renovation Information (if applicable)
- Sample Minor A/R Budget Justification (PDF - 118 KB)
- Environmental Information and Documentation Checklist (PDF - 512 KB)
- Schematics and/or Floor Plans showing the location and dimensions of the proposed renovation area in the existing building
- Other Requirements for Sites Form (PDF - 145 KB)
Scope Adjustments and Changes in Scope
CARES funding must be used for in-scope services at in-scope sites. You must receive any necessary Scope Adjustment and Change in Scope approvals before implementing a new service, service delivery method, or site in support of your CARES project. See the Scope of Project webpage, related emergency-specific scope of project FAQs on the COVID-19: Health Center Program FAQs webpage, and contact the project officer listed on your notice of award for guidance.
- COVID-19 Health Center Program FAQs
- Coronavirus-Related Funding FAQs
- Instructions to add your H8D grant folder to your HRSA Electronic Handbooks (EHBs) portfolio
Question and Answer Sessions for Applicants
HRSA hosted two, pre-award sessions to help you develop your CARES activities, budget, budget narrative, and minor A/R information to respond to the CARES Reporting Requirement.
Email the Project Officer stated on your notice of award.
Email the Grants Management Specialist stated on your notice of award.
EHBs Health Center Program Support
Complete the BPHC Contact Form
- Choose the Requester Type (i.e., Applicant)
- Choose the type of question – click on COVID-19
- Choose the BPHC Sub-category – click on CARES Supplemental Funding-EHBs questions
Or, you may contact Health Center Program Support Telephone: 877-464-4772 (select option 1) or Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET (except federal holidays).