Learn about the FY 2023 SBSE funding opportunity.
Health Center Program School-Based Service Expansion (SBSE) funding supports access to primary health services, including mental health services, through Health Center Program award recipients’ service delivery sites located at schools. In previous years, SBSE funding was called School-Based Service Sites (SBSS) funding.
On this page
Award recipients will increase access to comprehensive primary health care services by expanding one or more of the following services at new and/or existing school-based service site(s):
- General primary medical care,
- Mental health,
- Substance use disorder,
- Oral health,
- Vision, and/or
- Enabling (e.g., case management, health education, transportation).
FY 2023 SBSE has a focus on mental health services. See the FY 2023 SBSE Technical Assistance webpage for more information.
FY 2023 Non-Competing Continuation (NCC)
Submission and approval of the SBSS NCC will provide funding for the SBSS year 2 budget period (May 1, 2023, through April 30, 2024) for health centers originally funded in May 2022.
The FY 2023 SBSS NCC due date was December 12, 2022, in the HRSA Electronic Handbooks (EHBs).
- FY 2023 NCC Instructions (PDF - 330 KB) for submission guidance and steps to access the NCC in EHBs
- November 21, 2022, FY 2023 NCC Technical Assistance (TA) Webinar for FY 2022 Award Recipients for FY 2022 Award Recipients
- November 21, 2022, FY 2023 NCC TA Webinar Slides (PDF - 573 KB)
FY 2022 NCC Aids
- February 25, 2022, FY 2022 NCC TA Webinar for FY 2021 Award Recipients
- February 25, 2022, FY 2022 NCC TA Webinar Slides (PDF - 668 KB)
HRSA requires SBSS award recipients originally funded September 2021 (Cohort 1) or May 2022 (Cohort 2) to submit semi-annual progress reports (SAPRs) until full completion of all projects.
The progress reporting schedule for the two-year period of performance is:
|Reports||Reporting Period||Available in EHBs||Due Dates||Cohort|
|SAPR1||September 1, 2021 – February 28, 2022||March 1, 2022||March 15, 2022||Cohort 1|
|SAPR2||March 1, 2022 – August 31, 2022||September 1, 2022||September 15, 2022||Cohort 1 and 2|
|SAPR3||September 1, 2022 – February 28, 2023||March 1, 2023||March 15, 2023||Cohort 1 and 2|
|SAPR4||March 1, 2023 – August 31, 2023||September 1, 2023||September 15, 2023||Cohort 1 and 2|
|SAPR5||September 1, 2023 – April 30, 2024||May 1, 2024||May 15, 2024||Cohort 2|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
FY 2022 Award Recipients
- HHS Awards Nearly $25 Million to Expand Access to School-Based Health Services (5/3/22)
- FY 2022 Award Recipients
- May 12, 2022, FY 2022 Post-award TA Webinar Slides (PDF - 552 KB)
- May 12, 2022, FY 2022 Post-award TA Webinar Transcript (PDF - 175 KB)
FY 2021 Award Recipients
- Biden-Harris Administration Awards Over $5 Million to Expand Services at School-Based Health Centers (9/9/21)
- FY 2021 Award Recipients
- September 29, 2021, FY 2021 Post-Award TA Webinar
- September 29, 2021, FY 2021 Post-Award TA Webinar Slides (PDF - 549 KB)
FY 2021 Application Aids
- FY 2021 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- FY 2021 TA Presentation for Applicants
- FY 2021 TA Presentation for Applicants Slides (PDF - 1 MB)
- March 2, 2021, FY 2021 Question and Answer (Q&A) Session for Applicants Webinar
- March 2, 2021, FY 2021 Q&A Session for Applicants Webinar Slides (PDF - 543 KB)
- Scope of Project Resources and Information
- School-Based Health Alliance
- Partnerships between Schools and HRSA-Supported Health Centers: 10 Need-to-Know Tips (PDF - 139 KB): This Technical Assistance Resource provides background, key takeaways, and additional resources for schools interested in establishing partnerships with HRSA-supported health centers.
Complete the BPHC Contact Form for:
Implementation questions: Under Funding, select Supplemental Grant Award.
Contact the Grants Management Specialist on your Notice of Award.