This repository of resources is provided to participants of the FTCA program as a central location for technical assistance materials related to:
- Risk Management and Quality Improvement
- Clinical Risk Management Program
- Credentialing and Privileging
- Claims Management
- Risk Management Plan
- National Practitioner Data Bank
- Program Requirements & Policy
- FTCA Site Visits
- Templates and Toolkits
To search by topic, use the search feature in the navigation menu. For assistance, the BPHC Contact Form allows you to submit all of your questions and needs for support to BPHC through one centralized location. You can also connect with BPHC via phone through Health Center Program Support: 1-877-464-4772, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET, Monday – Friday (except federal holidays).
Risk Management and Quality Improvement
HRSA is committed to a comprehensive approach to quality improvement/quality assurance that includes risk management as the foundation. Since 2009, HRSA has collaborated with ECRI to provide health centers and free clinics with the tools, templates, and strategies needed to reduce risk, improve patient safety, and enhance processes. As part of the Clinical Risk Management Program provided on behalf of HRSA, qualified individuals have FREE access to various risk management and patient safety resources and education, including an online library of courses for continuing medical education (CME) or nursing credits and an Obstetrics Training Suite.
See more information for an overview of the Clinical Risk Management Services on the ECRI website. Contact to request access can be made via Clinical_RM_Program@ecri.org or call 610- 825-6000, ext. 5200.
Clinical Risk Management Program Benefits
The Clinical Risk Management Program website includes online courses for CME/nursing credits, an Ambulatory Risk Management Certificate Course, comprehensive toolkits, customized assistance, self-assessment tools, live and on-demand webinars and virtual conferences, e-newsletters, and other guidance to help you establish and sustain your risk management program by targeting high-risk areas, including:
- An Obstetrical suite of courses on topics such as electronic fetal monitoring, hypertension in pregnancy, shoulder dystocia, and postpartum hemorrhage
- Tracking diagnostic tests, hospitalizations, and referrals
- Credentialing and privileging
- Quality improvement/quality assurance
- Administrative issues that impact patient safety (e.g., handling patient grievances and complaints, effectively communicating with patients and other providers)
- Social issues that impact patient safety (e.g., health equity, social determinants of health)
Access ECRI’s Clinical Risk Management website to address your top risk management issues or learn more about the program. Email email@example.com or call 610- 825-6000, ext. 5200, for access to the website.
Credentialing and Privileging
Access the Credentialing and Privileging Resource Collection on the Clinical Risk Management Program website for a sample credentialing and privileging policy, credentialing guides for health centers and free clinics, tracking tools, guides for preparing credentialing files, sample forms and applications, and more. Peer review tools, checklists, and sample policies are also included.
Is your health center struggling with managing claims and event reports? See the Event Reporting Resource Collection and Event Response Resource Collection for sample policies, assessment tools, tracking tools, and other resources to proactively manage events and potential claims. An archived virtual conference presentation helps health centers walk through the process of responding to potential claim.
Risk Management Plan
The Risk Management Resource Collection includes a sample risk management manual as well as resources on risk management training, risk assessments, and reporting risk and quality information to the board. Use our template for a risk management plan and customize it to meet the needs of your health center. The Ambulatory Risk Management Certificate Course covers risk management basics and is intended for anyone in the health center.
National Practitioner Data Bank
- NPDB Guidebook - The guidebook provides information to consumers regarding the NPDB.
- NPDB Infographics - Educational guides that explain NPDB concepts in a visual, easy-to-understand format.
Program Requirements and Policy
Program Assistance Letters – Visit the FTCA Policies and Program Guidance page for information about program requirements and policy updates.
FTCA Site Visits
The Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) Site Visit Protocol provides an overview of the site visit process and activities to complete in preparation for and completion of an FTCA site visit.
Templates and Tool Kits
Health Center FTCA Application Tool Kit
HRSA periodically updates this section to include presentations and resources that will focus on the application preparation, submission, and deeming process.
- CY 2023 Health Center FTCA Deeming Technical Assistance Webinar
- CY 2022 Health Center VHP FTCA Deeming Technical Assistance Webinar | Presentation (PDF - 496 KB)
- CY 2022 Health Center FTCA Risk Management Technical Assistance Webinar | Presentation (PDF - 776 KB)
- CY 2022 Health Center FTCA and NPDB Technical Assistance Webinar | Presentation (PDF - 833 KB)
- FTCA EHB User Guide (PDF - 1 MB)
- FTCA Technical Assistance Resource on Tracking Policies (PDF - 301 KB)
- FTCA Compliance Tool: Risk Management Annual Report to Board (PDF - 882 KB)
- FTCA Compliance Tool: Risk Management Training Plan (PDF - 399 KB)
- Annual Report to Governing Board Webinar* | Presentation (PDF - 1 MB)
- Quarterly Risk Assessment Webinar* | Presentation (PDF - 1 MB)
- Tracking, Monitoring, and Addressing Near Misses, Adverse Events, and Sentinel Events Webinar* | Presentation (PDF - 1 MB)
- Risk Management Training Webinar* | Presentation (PDF - 1 MB)
- Obesity and Pregnancy Webinar* | Presentation (PDF - 2 MB)
*Note: A post webinar survey must be completed before a Certificate of Completion will be issued. All post webinar surveys must be completed by 09/30/2022. The surveys will be closed on 10/01/2022. After the surveys are closed, they will not be reopened, and Certificates of Completion will not be issued.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request a post webinar survey (include “survey” and “Certificate of Completion” in the subject line of the email). An email with a link to the post webinar survey will be sent to you. After the post webinar survey is submitted, a Certificate of Completion will be sent from email@example.com.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or experience any technical difficulties with the post webinar survey.
Credentialing and Privileging
- FTCA Compliance Tool: Credentialing and Privileging Process (PDF - 411 KB)
- FTCA Credentialing and Privileging List for Health Centers Quick Reference Guide (PDF - 1 MB)
VHP Application Toolkit
- Health Center VHP FTCA Program Video
- VHP Brochure (PDF - 97 KB)
- VHP Sample Volunteer Agreement (PDF - 25 KB)
- VHP Sample Limited Liability Notice (PDF - 23 KB)
- Calendar Year – 2023 Volunteer Health Professional Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) Deeming Sponsorship Application Instructions (PDF - 504 KB)
Free Clinic Application Toolkit
- CY 2023 FTCA Free Clinic Deeming Technical Assistance Webinar | Presentation (PDF - 942 KB)
- FTCA Free Clinic Checklist (PDF - 145 KB)
- Free Clinic Application Categories (PDF - 74 KB)
- Electronic Handbook (EHB) Free Clinics FTCA FAQs
- Sample Liability Letter (PDF - 13 KB)
- Sample Liability Letter (Spanish) (PDF - 14 KB)