Instructions to add your H8I grant to your HRSA Electronic Handbooks (EHBs) portfolio
Fiscal year (FY) 2022 Accelerating Cancer Screening (AxCS) funding supports health centers to increase equitable access to cancer screening and referral for care and treatment by enhancing education, case management, outreach, and other enabling services, in close partnership or coordination with National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Cancer Centers that will deploy outreach specialists and patient navigators for populations served by health centers.
FY 2022 Highlights
On this page:
This funding supports President Biden's call to action on cancer screening and early detection as part of the Administration's Cancer Moonshot initiative to reduce the cancer death rate by at least 50% over the next 25 years and support families living with and surviving cancer.
Award recipients will use AxCS funds to achieve two objectives:
- Increase the number and percentage of patients screened for at least one of the following cancer types: cervical, breast, or colorectal.
- Increase the number of patients assisted with accessing appropriate follow-up care (e.g., diagnostic services, therapies, clinical trials) within 30 days of receiving an abnormal cancer screening test result.
AxCS funding will support activities in the following areas:
- Access and affordability;
- Patient experience;
- Screening; and
- Workforce development.
On September 23, 2022, HHS announced the list of award recipients for this funding.
- September 27, 2022, Award Recipient Webinar Slides (PDF - 483 KB)
- Instructions to add your H8I grant folder to your HRSA Electronic Handbooks (EHBs) portfolio
HRSA requires award recipients to submit periodic progress reports as well as a final report.
Reporting periods and due dates for the award (activity code: H8I):
|Report||Reporting Period||Available in EHBs||Due Date|
|1||September 1, 2022 to
February 28, 2023
|March 1, 2023||March 15, 2023|
|2||March 1, 2023 to
August 31, 2023
|September 1, 2023||September 15, 2023|
|3||September 1, 2023 to
February 28, 2024
|March 1, 2024||March 15, 2024|
|Final||September 1, 2022 to
August 31, 2024
|August 31, 2024||November 29, 2024|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- NCI-Designated Cancer Centers provides information on NCI-designated Cancer Centers, including a map of the 71 Cancer Center locations
- HRSA Women’s Preventive Services Guidelines identifies preventive services and screenings to be used in clinical practice to improve women’s health across the lifespan
- The Guide to Community Preventive Services: Cancer provides a collection of evidence-based findings of the Community Preventive Services Task Force (CPSTF) to help you select interventions to improve health and prevent disease
- Guideline Adoption in Safety-net Care: Understanding the Prevention, Screening, and Management of Cervical Cancer in Safety-Net and Health Resources and Services Administration-Supported Settings of Care (PDF - 840 KB) summarizes the findings of a landscape analysis describing the facilitators and barriers to effective cervical cancer screening in low-resource settings and for impoverished populations
- HHS Announces $5 Million in Funding to Advance Equity in Cancer Screening at Health Centers (5/11/22)
- FY 2022 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) (PDF - 478 KB)
- May 10, 2022, Applicant TA Webinar
- May 10, 2022, Applicant TA Presentation Slides (PDF - 986 KB)
Attachments and Forms
- Budget Narrative with Personnel Justification Table Example (PDF - 474 KB)
- Project Work Plan Example
- Scope of Project Resources and Information (including details on Form 5A)
- Uniform Data System (UDS) Training and Technical Assistance
- Legislative Mandates in Grants Management for FY 2022 (PDF - 245 KB)
- Health Center Program Strategic Partnerships (PCAs, HCCNs, and NTTAPs)
Email the Project Officer listed on your Notice of Award or complete the BPHC Contact Form:
- Under Funding, select Supplemental Grant Award (e.g. COVID/ARP, PCHP, Capital)
- Select Accelerating Cancer Screening (AxCS) supplemental grant award
- Tell us about your request
Email the Grants Management Specialist listed on your Notice of Award.
EHBs Health Center Program Support
Complete the BPHC Contact Form:
- Under Technical Support, select EHBs Tasks/EHBs Technical Issues
- Tell us about your request
Call 877-464-4772 (select option 1) 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET, Monday – Friday (except federal holidays).