FY 2022 AxCS NOFO (PDF - 477 KB)
Fiscal year (FY) 2022 Accelerating Cancer Screening (AxCS) funding will support health centers to increase equitable access to cancer screening and referral for care and treatment by enhancing education, case management, outreach, and other enabling services, in partnership or coordination with National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Cancer Centers that will deploy outreach specialists and patient navigators for populations served by health centers. This funding supports President Joe Biden's call to action on cancer screening and early detection as part of the Administration's Cancer Moonshot initiative to reduce the cancer death rate by at least 50% over the next 25 years and support families living with and surviving cancer.
Applicants must propose to use AxCS funds to achieve two objectives:
- Increase the number and percentage of patients screened for at least one of the following cancer types: cervical, breast, or colorectal.
- Increase the number of patients assisted with accessing appropriate follow-up care (e.g., diagnostic services, therapies, clinical trials) within 30 days of receiving an abnormal cancer screening test result.
You will also track the percentage of patients that you refer for care and treatment for whom you receive a report from the provider to whom the patient was referred.
Applicants will advance progress on the AxCS objectives by implementing at least one activity within each of the following four focus areas:
- Access and affordability;
- Patient experience;
- Screening; and
- Workforce development.
Who Can Apply
- Are Health Center Program operational (H80) grant award recipients funded under sections 330(e), (g), (h), and/or (i); and
- Partner with an NCI-designated Cancer Center.
Eligible applications must include partnership documentation between the health center and the NCI-Designated Cancer Center, such as a memorandum of understanding. See section III of the AxCS NOFO for full completeness and eligibility requirements.
How to Apply/Submit
AxCS applications must be submitted in Grants.gov by 11:59 p.m. ET on June 15, 2022. The AxCS application has no EHBs component.
- Applicant Frequently Asked Questions
- SF-424 Application Guide (PDF - 691 KB)
- HRSA Scoring Rubric
- Track Your Grant Application
- Example Budget Narrative with Personnel Justification Table (PDF - 474 KB)
- Sample Project Work Plan
- Equipment List Form (PDF - 169 KB)
- NCI-Designated Cancer Centers provides information on NCI-designated Cancer Centers, including a map of the 71 Cancer Center locations
- HRSA Women’s Preventive Services Guidelines identifies preventive services and screenings to be used in clinical practice to improve women’s health across the lifespan
- The Guide to Community Preventive Services: Cancer provides a collection of evidence-based findings of the Community Preventive Services Task Force (CPSTF) to help you select interventions to improve health and prevent disease
- Guideline Adoption in Safety-net Care: Understanding the Prevention, Screening, and Management of Cervical Cancer in Safety-Net and Health Resources and Services Administration-Supported Settings of Care (PDF - 840 KB) summarizes the findings of a landscape analysis describing the facilitators and barriers to effective cervical cancer screening in low-resource settings and for impoverished populations
- Health Center Program Strategic Partnerships
- HRSA Uniform Data System (UDS) Resources
- Scope of Project Resources and Information (including details on Form 5A)
- Legislative Mandates in Grants Management for FY 2022 (PDF)
Contact the AxCS Technical Assistance Team
Complete the BPHC Contact Form:
- Under Funding, select Applications (e.g., NOFOs)
- Select Accelerating Cancer Screening (AxCS)
- Enter your contact information
Contact Clare Oscar
HRSA, Office of Federal Assistance Management
Division of Grants Management Operations